Wednesday 11 January 2012

Brace Yourself.




After two, almost three, years of being a brace face, metal mouth, train tracks, nerdlinger and a doofus (that last one had nothing to do with my braces, I just kinda am one) I AM BRACES FREE!

I had horrendous teeth as a teen. Alot of people that now have perfect teeth blabber on about how bad their teeth used to be- but please, I beseech you please- believe me when I say mine were quite the lookers.

Protruding from my mouth, and resting on my lower lip from when I first got teeth, were two giant PK sized buck teeth. Just popping out to say 'allo. Or rather, yellow, as the case may have been.

I hated photos, I hated mirrors, I hated those stupid beaver teeth with a passion. Over time though, they had become just part of 'me', and I had just accepted them. (As much as any insecurity riddled teen can, who already has frizzy curls, a monobrow and is chubby to boot)

My parents had 7 kids. Yes- that shit be crazy.

Unfortunately for me, (and my older sister, who was blessed with the same teeth as I) braces were just not a financial option for us.

Fast forward to 2008 and here I was, with my first real "grown up" job at the age of 21. I had just lost a bunch of weight, and a friend of mine had gotten braces and now her teeth were AMAZING. I thought I'd go for a consult, look at the price, faint, then give up on that idea (like i tend to do with most of my ideas, heh)

Once I found out they offered payment plans, BAM. I had those babies slapped on quicker than you could imagine. Im glad too, if I had of known how much they freaking hurt I might have changed my mind!

So now here I am, with straight teeth, no more of those stupid tiny spiral brushes designed to get stray bits of food goo out of my teeth (if you think thats gross, try eating a sandwhich and dealing with bread in your braces), constantly running my tongue over my teeth because they feel SO DAMN SMOOTH! And straight!

I wont be posting a photo just yet. They need to be whitened desperately, and unfortunately I have two fillings to be done in those tricky spots where my teeth used to be all higgedy-piggedy and crossed over, which now straightened are quite obvious.

Pics coming soon!

But just imagine- soon I will be able to smile AND SHOW MY TEETH! I have been doing the catbum pursed lipped smile forever!

In the meantime, you can ogle Gwen in her pink haired, braced glory. I love that she got the braces and thought 'Fuck it, im going all out', and didnt try to blend in or make them less noticeable.

7 comments:

  1. I probably could have done with braces as a kid - but surprisingly my dentist was of the belief that 'teeth weren't meant to look like a picket fence'. Lol. I think I worry more about the lack of whiteness of my teeth. But I can't be bothered getting them done. Maybe one day I will be a Hollywood star and just get them capped? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a genuinely honest dentist- not only is he right, but how many dodgy ones would just slap braces on them to get your money?

      Delete
  2. YAY for new teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there was some definite YAY moments- namely when I almost crashed the car on the way home because I was too busy staring at my teeth in the rearview mirror. Eeep ^_^

      Delete
  3. Yay for no more braces :) Looking forward to seeing the pics!

    Was wondering if when you're bored and needing post inspiration, whether you could do a post on the whole braces price and procedure? I'm seriously considering them and want to know what I could be in for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a FANTASTIC idea. Have started a draft, keep your eyes peeled!

      Delete

All comments are printed out and placed on my fridge.